MIAA Lacrosse Championships: Medfield Threepeats, Lincoln-Sudbury Repeats

Written by Marisa Ingemi

Nickerson Field was packed to witness five high school lacrosse state championships on Saturday. Norwell, Westwood, Lincoln-Sudbury, Dover-Sherborn, and Medfield each took home titles in a day filled with lacrosse from the campus of Boston University.

Medfield vs Hingham, the Division 2 contest, was the most anticipated, and it was saved for last. The two teams matched up for the fourth time in a row, and for the third straight contest Medfield came out with a victory, winning 13-9.

“These are four years in a row that we’ve had really great senior leadership,” said Medfield head coach John Isaf. “This class certainly has been special.”

The start of the game did not disappoint, as Hingham jumped out to a 1-0 lead immediately thanks to a goal from Will Kenney. Three straight tallies from three NCAA Division 1 recruits made it a 3-1 lead before a goal from Hingham’s Frank Higgins, but Boston University recruit John MacLean extended the lead back to 4-2.

Hingham brought the game within one to make it a 6-5 Medfield lead as Jake Brodie and Marc O’Rourke each scored. Devin Irvin bounced a shot into the top corner to the game at six going into the half.

Medfield came back to lead 11-8 at the end of three quarters. MacLean finished with four goals on the night, while Treibor scored two. Pat O’Rourke scored two for Hingham.

Division 2 Girls’ Championship Game: Norwell – 12 Walpole – 11

In the first game of the day, with seconds remaining on the clock, Walpole’s girls lacrosse team had one final shot to tie the game. Chase Henrquez came up with the save, and Norwell stormed the crease as time expired.

Lauren Bergholtz scored six goals to lead Norwell to a 12-11 victory over Walpole for the division two girl’s lacrosse state championship for the second straight year.

Haley Connaughton led the Westwood Wolverines to the division one title, scoring four goals in the second half to lead the team to a championship after it had lost in the title game in overtime last season. At one point trailing 12-7, Walpole came all the way back to have the opportunity to tie the game in the final seconds.

Division 1 Girls’ Championship Game: Westwood – 13 North Andover – 7

The Division One girl’s game opened up back and forth between the two teams, with Westwood getting on the board first before a run from North Andover. Westwood opened up a 4-2 lead that was closed by the Knights to make it a 4-4 contest. By the half, it was a 6-4 lead for Westwood.

“There were a lot of great motivators,” said Westwood coach Leslie Frank. “I’m glad they were able to pull it all together.”

North Andover, led by an opening half hat trick from Abbie Karalis, stalled after tying the game at four. Jillian Reilly and Andrea Meincke each had hat tricks along with the breakout game from Connaughton.

Division 1 Boys’ Championship Game: Lincoln-Sudbury – 10 BC High – 8

Less than a minute into the Division 1 boys’ championship, freshman Matthew Ward found the back of the net for Lincoln-Sudbury. A quick score from the Eagles tied the game, but Ward would score his second, and it would stay Warriors lead for the rest of the game as Lincoln-Sudbury defended its title by a score of 10-8.

The entire first quarter was dominated by Lincoln-Sudbury, with Ward scoring twice and Harlan Smart (Dartmouth) providing two assists. BC High turned the ball over twice early on that led to transition chances for Lincoln-Sudbury.

Ward had a hat trick early on in the second quarter. BC High cut the lead to 4-2 with a tally from Patrick Jennings. The Warriors jumped out to a 7-4 lead before the half, with Whit Findlay, Hayden Frey, and Eric Holden (Hobart) getting on the board. Jennings scored another and longpole captain Oskar Djusberg (Middlebury) found the back of the net, but the first half was dominated by the Warriors.

Lincoln-Sudbury opened up the second half with a goal from Connor McCarthy, a Princeton recruit, when he was finally able to get away from top Eagles defender Will Bowen, a North Carolina commit. Pat Greene cut the lead back to three just moments later.

McCarthy scored again in the fourth quarter to give the Warriors a 10-7 lead. Pat Greene scored his second for the Eagles, but by then it was too late. The high powered Warriors offense was too much for the Eagles to overcome.

Division 2 Mens’ Championship: Dover-Sherborne – 16 Grafton – 5

Peter Davies scored three straight goals for Dover-Sherborn, interrupted by just a tally from Grafton’s Chase Kapuscienski. Bailey Laidman extended the lead to 4-1, with the North Carolina commit scoring his second point of the game. It was the fourth title in five years for the Raiders with a 16-5 victory.

Penalties burnt Grafton early, as they were not able to establish possession time or get into an offensive rhythm. By the half, it was an 8-1 lead for the Raiders and Davies had four goals. Laidman had two goals by the half, with the other two coming from Jack Mahoney and John Hargreaves. Mahoney also earned a hat trick in the game. Will Spangenberg also scored three goals.

Hunter Fraser had a hat trick for Grafton, but that was mostly it for their offense. Grafton would lose in the title game for the second straight year.

The day overall saw five champions crowned, and several seniors graduate into the collegiate ranks. Four teams repeated, and one got vengeance on a title game loss last season, and all five go home victorious.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.