Malden, Chelsea men arrested for fatal Boston stabbings

Police tape stock
Photo courtesy of Yumi Kimura / Flickr

By Stella Lorence
BU News Service

BOSTON — Two men were arrested in Boston last weekend for unrelated fatal stabbings earlier this month.

Raul Antonio Gutierrez-Rosales, 22, of Chelsea and Gerald Lenzel Bowens, 25, of Malden were arraigned Monday on murder charges.

Neither stabbing had any known gang relations, and neither suspect had any known relation to the victims.

Police said 22-year-old Carlos Ramos of East Boston was found around 11:30 p.m. on Sept. 3 suffering from multiple stab wounds near West Eagle St. Ramos was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital where he died, according to police reports.

A friend of Gutierrez-Rosales told police that she and Gutierrez-Rosales had been approached by Ramos and threatened with a knife hours before his murder.

Ramos then called the police, but he “appeared drunk and was unable to state with clarity as to why he had called the police,” according to the report.

Police have not been able to identify anyone who saw the actual stabbing occur, but at least four witnesses identified Gutierrez-Rosales and a distinct white 2002 Mustang which police said fled the scene going the wrong way on West Eagle Street.

Homicide detectives located the car on Sept. 10, and the previous owner of the car identified Gutierrez-Rosales as the new owner. 

Police said Gutierrez-Rosales gave contradicting accounts of the Sept. 3 events, first stating that he had had a verbal argument with the victim but left immediately after and did not return, then agreeing that he had returned a second time. 

Police said he denied having anyone else in the car, though video footage obtained showed a second person in the car.

Gutierrez-Rosales had also started a “campaign of threats and intimidation” against a key witness, including the forwarding of clips of men with machine guns with masks on their faces, according to the report.

Gutierrez-Rosales has been charged with murder and was held without bail following his arraignment Monday. He is expected to appear in court again Nov. 1.

Bowens was arrested Saturday night after an interview with police about the murder of Timothy Walton. 

Walton, 32, of Roxbury was discovered suffering from stab wounds near Massachusetts Avenue and Albany Street around 9:15 p.m. on Sept. 18, according to police reports.

Walton died at a nearby hospital, and Bowens “acknowledged his involvement in the death,” but said Walton stabbed him in his head before a fight, police said.

Homicide detectives seized a brown and black folded pocket knife from Bowens prior to his arrest, according to the police report. 

Bowens is being held on $250,000 bail after his arraignment Monday. He is expected to appear in court again on Oct. 23.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.